Cullinan Diamond Mine and Pretoria
The Cullinan Premier Diamond Mine conducts a 2-hour surface tour where you will:
- visit the Diamond House to view a display of rough diamonds;
- see the 32ha big hole;
- visit the mine shaft in operation;
- view the cutting and polishing of diamonds by expert diamond cutters; and
- exit through the Diamond Hub where Cullinan Diamond sells polished diamonds, precious and semi precious jewellery.
This is the only place in the world where you can see a diamond mine, a cutting and polishing facility and jewellery market all in one place.
After the mine visit, we continue to the city of Pretoria, where you will learn about the Boer war. Ride down the wide streets of South Africa’s Administrative Capital, enjoying the beauty of the 75,000 odd Jacaranda trees that line your route, and bloom in Oct / Nov each year.
The tour takes you to:
- The Voortrekker Monument – commemorating the Pioneer history of Southern Africa and the history of the Afrikaner;
- Fort Schanskop – built at a cost of GBP 47,500 and handed over to the government on 6 April 1897;
- Kruger House – a museum refurbished to look almost as it did at the time when President Paul & Mrs Gezina Kruger lived there;
- Church Square – view the historic General Post Office, Palace of Justice and Raadsaal buildings as well as the statue of Paul Kruger;
- Melrose House – an old Victorian mansion where the Peace Treaty with the British was signed;
- The Union Buildings – considered to be the country’s finest example of Sir Herbert Baker’s architectural masterpieces with truly magnificent gardens.
Note: Package excludes lunch & beverages.
N. B. Melrose House is closed on Mondays and Public Holidays.