Learn about Johannesburg, or the “City of Gold” as it’s sometimes called, South Africa’s largest city which remains the country’s financial and commercial heart. Our Johannesburg City Tour forms the base of this day trip, and will give you a taste of the “Rainbow Nation” at work in Sandton and downtown Johannesburg. The Northern suburbs can be viewed from our vantage point after which we drive into the bustling Hillbrow area, the most densely populated part of the city. Crossing over the Nelson Mandela Suspension Brige into downtown Johannesburg we stop to visit “The Top of the Carlton” for a panoramic view of Jozi. We also stop at the Mary Fitzgerald Square in Newtown where a variety of African arts, crafts, curios and souvenirs are sold.
- We will collect and drop off from several Johannesburg locations as required:
- O R Tambo International Airport
- Johannesburg or Sandton Hotels and Guesthouses.
- Johannesburg or Sandton Bed and Breakfasts (B&Bs).
Drive through and visit the most populous black urban residential area in the country. Soweto is home to over 4 million people and depicts extreme contrasts in their life styles. You will visit amongst others:
- Vilakazi Street – the only street in the world to have housed 2 Nobel Prize winners;
- The Mandela Museum – based in the house where Madiba once lived;
- Hector Pieterson Memorial and Museum – discover the cause of the riots;
- Freedom Square/Walter Sisulu Square – where the ANC’s Freedom Charter was proclaimed to thousands in 1956;
- The Regina Mundi Church – where the bullet-marked walls are witness to prior security police brutality.
|tour length:||approx 5 hours|
|tour cost:||ZAR 1,250.00 each (2 or more persons)
ZAR 1,900.00 (single person)
|includes:||entrance fees & lunch at the shebeen|