Gold Reef City, a replica of old Johannesburg dating back to 1890, has become one of the most popular tourist attractions in South Africa. Built around the old Crown Mines shaft of what was once the richest gold mine in the world. On the guided tour you will visit:
- Mr Ohlthaver’s House – a mine managers residence back in the good old days;
- Dowse House – learn about home-schooling (without the internet);
- Oosthuizen House – A “ghostly” experience awaits you as you stroll down the passages of time, where you will see what it was to ‘waste not, want not’;
- Gold Pour – a live demonstration of the pouring of liquid gold bullion into moulds to form ingots;
- Underground Mine Tour – Descend into the bowels of the earth and discover the riches of our history. Experience the heart stopping feeling of travelling deep below the surface in a hurtling skip.
Back on the surface enjoy a walk through the theme park and see the traditional tribal and miner’s gumboot dances. This theme park-cum-living museum surrounded by a Mint, Souvenir shops, Restaurants and Pubs, recaptures the riotous times of Johannesburg’s gold rush era.
|tour length:||approx 4 hours|
|tour cost:||ZAR 1,275.00 each (2 or more persons)
ZAR 1,950.00 (single person)
|includes:||guided tour, entrance fee to Gold Reef City & Mine|
|excludes:||lunch & beverages|